x

John L's Old Maps / Supplementary Pages:

Photos of Old Trains,
Tracks and Trails

in Northwest Wisconsin

PART 2

SITE CONTENTS:

Old Map Collection–web version 4.2 (5/24/07):
  Part 1: c.1710-1857
  Part 2: 1873-1920
Supplementary Pages:
•  Evolution of Northwest Territory
•  Photos:  Source of Brule & St. Croix Rivers
•  Photos:  Sources of the Mississippi River
•  Photos:  Railroads and Trails – Parts
    1 and 2 (this page)
•  Views of the Apostle Islands
•  References

Click on images for extended view in separate window.
Do not allow your browser to reduce larger images to screen size.

x



x
15

x
16

x
17

Photos 15-19:  Some more modern-day railroad photos.

15 – This is a view along the Chicago and North Western track between Springbrook and Hayward – looking westward where the Soo Line crosses.

16 – Looking toward the northwest along the Soo Line track, another study in perspective. The tracks connect nearby at "Hayward Junction" which actually was not constructed until the 1990s – almost a century after the Soo Line overpass was built!

17 – The old Chicago and North Western route between Trego and Superior is used heavily by all-terrain vehicles. Here it passes "Lakeside Lake" which was named after one of the old communities along the railroad.

18 – Plowing the way from Hayward Junction to Hayward in a photo taken March, 2002.

19 – Before the railroad was removed northeast of Hayward, the occasional trains were obliged to travel at 10 mph or less over the poorly-maintained, deteriorating and weed-infested tracks. (A better view of a bonsai tree in the making is shown here.) This was a far cry from the old days when the steam locomotives (such as no. 2719 on Part 1) averaged 60 mph or more – including the time spent at their stops!


Photos 20-27:  Some historic trails as seen today.

20-23 – An historical marker and three views of the old portage trail between Windigo Lake (which connects to the Chippewa River system) and the Namekagon River. Discussion of this trail is shown with Map 13 on the first old maps page.

24-26 – Here are some modern-day views of the old historic mail route and tote road that extended from the Falls of St. Croix to the site of present-day Bayfield. This road is shown on Map 13 on the first old maps page and also on Schoolcraft's map here. A short stretch of the original road in Douglas County is still in use today as "Bayfield Road" and is shown in Photos 24 and 25. Where the developed portion of the road ends, the continuation of the old road is suggested by the gap in the woods shown in Photo 26.

27 – This subtle, extended gap in the woods along the Namekagon River north of Hayward suggests a portion of the old road from Stillwater, MN to Bayfield which served to move people and supplies prior to the coming of the railroad in the 1870-80s. Such traces can show up on aerial photos which can be found on the MSR Maps site for virtually any section of the country.

x
18
x
19
x
20
x
21
x
22
x
23
x
24
x
25
x
26
x
27


Go back to
Part 1.

E-mail me at
jlindquist001@
gmail.com
 .

Page last modified on 11/1/10 at 12:45 PM, CDT.
John Lindquist:  homepage, complete site outline.
Department of Bacteriology, U.W.-Madison